Sunday 24 May 2015

All The Fun Of The Craft Fair

Saturday the 23rd saw a good number of the WA blogging friends meet up at the Perth Craft & Quilt Fair. We also had a gentleman among us, but more on that in a moment.

It was so great to see some familiar faces, & to meet Tarnyia for the first time. I trust you made it home in one piece after braving the city traffic!
It was also fab to meet Leonie & her husband Mark, he's a clever quilt-making fella!

The offerings of the Fair itself were not much to inspire me... this was my fourth year attending, & I found quite a few stands selling the same tired old patterns with the same tired old samples... how hard can it be to make up a new sample & re-vamp the pattern cover to be more appealing to shoppers? The designs themselves are good, but the way they're presented doesn't exactly inspire a 'I want to make that' reaction. Similarly with a lot of books & fabrics, it's stuff we saw last year.

It's great to see knitting & crochet increasing in visibility at this event... & lots of interest at the stands for these arts. And of course it's so good for everyone to stock up on their blades, needles, thimbles, scissors & those things that are not found in Perth shops.

I did have a few things I actually needed that I can't get local to me & of course there were a few other purchases too... Among the items, I bought a 5-pack of some needles designed for blanket stitch fusible web applique; they're super-sharp & claim to slide through the fabrics like a 'hot knife through butter'... something to do with the triangular shape of the shaft... will have to test them out soon.

Also bought a silicone thimble - apparently they're durable & do a good job, so bought 2 of them for a roadtest. Two for $10 was worth a try. I'm fussy with my thimbles, & am always on the lookout for a good one.

My big purchase of the day was a quilt kit from Monica of Moonshine Designs (at the Margaret's Fabrics stand), called The Happiness Quilt... quite an investment, but as I'm hopeless with putting fabrics & colours together, a kit is a great option for me.

Also purchased some more EPP supplies, trims, buttons, rulers & bag-making hardware.
(Like how I just casually dropped in that confession?!)

Another highlight of the day for me was to see the work of our lovely friend Julia - a stunning Dresden plate & hand-quilted masterpiece - & extra wonderful to see an award ribbon pinned to the side of it! I was so pleased to see it & even be able to brag to some nearby ladies that I know the maker of this stunning quilt. Congrats again, Julia! x
(Click on Julia's name to see more)

So I've been to the Fair once again... time spent with stitchy friends really is the best... now it's time to knuckle down & get to work on some of the things I've bought over the years!
(Like Kate, I too have a kit purchased in 2012 that hasn't been started!)

Ah sewing... my philosophy is that it's cheaper than gambling or a therapist & healthier than booze... don't you agree??!

If you've read to here, I thank you !

24 comments:

Yvonne W said...

You did end up getting quite a few supplies-- which is fabulous. Tell me what you think of those needles-- I tried them -- may be I need to try again and persevere.
we have our craft show in Sydney in mid June-- I am looking forward to it-- the one show I usually manage to get to per year. Enjoy your new supplies.

Anonymous said...

Hi Anthea,wow you had a good turnup of bloggers it will grow from here on.Love what you bought ,i have a silicon thimble and they are great,great seeing a lovely fun post xx

kiwikid said...

Good to hear you managed to find some things to take home with you!! Your new kit looks wonderful!

Stitching Noni said...

Hi Anthea!
Thank you so much for organising the catch up! It was lovely to meet you and all the other girls! Looking forward to doing it all again soon :o)
Hugs
Leonie xx

Lisa V said...

It sure was a great day. I was really pleased with my haul of goodies this year.
Great to catch up again dear friend, and once again thank you for my lovely birthday gift, I shall treasure it.
Hugs

Deb R said...

Nothing like a quilt show!!! glad you had a good time, I also love those silicone thimbles have a few lol

Justine said...

Looks like a great day out even if you weren't inspired by the displays. Lovely to meet fellow craters.

Michelle Ridgway said...

Lovely bloggy get together. Nice loot too. Must give the silicone thimbles a try. The Dresden is beautiful xx

Lin said...

Sounds like a fun day out even if the show was not up to scratch. Your kit looks interesting - but what was that kit from 2012?? xxx

marina said...

sounds like you all had a wonderful day and I do like your kit too!
beautiful.
I have purchased those needles too and they did go through easier, couldn't master my thimble though but that is a reflection on my rather than the thimble.I agree with your sentiments about sewing-definitely a cheaper option!

Susan said...

I agree with you about the craft shows, but they are still a great stitchy day out. Read a recent study that showed knitting and sewing were excellent for brain health........and saving sanity!

Jeanette said...

I agree about the craft shows. So boring & uninspiring. Are those needles appli-bond ? I've been using appli-bond for over 10 years for fusible applique & won't use anything else. Hugs, xx

Pamela said...

Sounds like a fun outing. I'll look forward to your report on those needles - they sound like something I need.

Julia said...

Oh, how I wish I could have been there with you girls, but the two days I had to be at the show was all I could manage. OK who was the gentleman?
I too didn't find what was on offer and the displays all that inspiring.
Thank you for your kind words about my quilt.
Julia

KERYN B said...

Just nice to have a day out and catch up with people. Don't worry about your 2012 kit I just finished a 2005 - lucky they don't go off.

Raewyn said...

Sounds like a good day and you made some great purchases! Interesting to read your comments on some of the 'same old same old' booths.

Helen said...

Looks like a great day with lots of wonderful friends. Love your purchases, !!

Christine M said...

It's always lovely catching up with friends. Lovely purchases, Anthea.

sunny said...

A lovely day with friends, and some shopping. I need to know more about these needles. My favorite thimbles are silicone with a metal tip, similar to a regular thimble. I absolutely love them. Julia's quilt truly is a masterpiece.

Fiona said...

lovely to get together... I tend to go to the Craft fairs for the social aspect... fun to get a kit... I love them...
Hugz

Bev C said...

Hello Anthea,

Glad you had a good turn out of bloggers. I think the problem with some of the craft shows is the stalls are in the same area each year, I guess this is so people know where to look for them. Perhaps a quick email of suggestions to the organisers. If they don't know people's opinions it will most likely be the same next year. Have fun with the things you did buy.

Happy days.
Bev.

suzitee said...

Sorry to hear the show was disappointing this year. I didn't make it there again...but it sounds like I didn't miss much!

Maria said...

Was fabulous getting together again and was delighted to finally met Tarnyia and new friends Leonie and Mark...

Tarnyia said...

It was and awesome day Anthea... loved meeting you and the others... looking forward to another get together xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...